Saturday, May 12, 2007

This could turn into more of a rant than a review




Last night I was home alone so I thought that I would rent a movie that none of my movie night companions would be to upset about missing, so I picked out Shut Up and Sing, a documentary that followed the Dixie Chicks after their lead singer, Natalie Maines, made a comment about the President during a performance on the eve of the United States' war with Iraq. Not only was I pleased with my choice, was pleasantly surprised at what a heart-warming tale the movie turned out to be.

It follows the woman and their families on the tumultuous voyage that their lives take after Maines' comment. While watching I was struck by several things, the first being how deeply their fans, as well as television political personalities took her remark. I have never agreed with people "punishing" artists for their personal opinions. I always have thought that what a person thinks or does in their personal life has little effect on the end product that I am consuming so why bother worrying about it. For an extreme example, take Michael Jackson, probably a child molester, doesn't mean that I like the song "The Way You Make Me Feel" any less. So, even though I remember the hubbub about her statement, since I neither listen to country music radio nor watch conservative political talk shows, I didn't realize and was surprised by the fervor of it all.

The second thing that struck me was how brave they all were. The Dixie Chicks, particularly Maines, faced a public thrashing that you and I could never imagine. They had every opportunity to give in, tuck their metaphorical tails between their legs, and give in...but they didn't. They stuck by their opinion and their right to express it even after death threats, one of which was so serious that the FBI was involved.

Finally, I taken with the strength and love of the band members relationships. The movie shows how well they supported each other through the controversy as well as personal problems (like difficult pregnancies) that the woman had during the filming. I think that, above all else made this movie a joy to watch.

Oh, and one more! I didn't realize the Dixie Chicks had so much rock'n music...I think I will by their lastest CD! Anyway, I give this one a thumbs up and recommend it to anyone who was mildly entertained the description, I was more enthralled than I expected to be. Also, I'm proud of myself for holding back several rants* that the movie caused me to explode with on the phone to Joe last night. I realize that I let that tiny bit of one slip through in the beginning...you know about the fans and Michael Jackson...but you can only expect so much from me...



*In case you are wondering here is a short list of the things this movie made me rant about: 1.My views on patriotism 2. The way that the media treats opinionated women as opposed to men and 3. The Christian Right

No comments: