Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Why World of Warcraft is so addictive.

Recently one of our friends and Joe have been harassing me to make a character on World of Warcraft (and no, I won't call it WoW). So, after my test yesterday I needed something to do and I signed up for a ten day free trial--and now I understand why it is so addictive.

The addictive nature of the game is not because it is any more fun than any other game that I have played (sorry) but rather, the game keeps you going because there is no logical stopping point, none whatsoever. Unlike many other games I have played, there are no levels to complete, no save points to reach, nothing. You cannot say, "I will go to bed at the end of this level." Instead you are perpetually involved in completing a variety of tasks. And once you finish one, you are usually give two more. It never ends and messes with my need to complete things.