Sunday, September 2, 2007

To whom it may concern...

Dear Alabama Department of Transportation:

I recently had the privilege of driving through your lovely state. I must say that the roads were in excellent condition. The area around the highway was clean and well manicured. In general the maintenance of the roads themselves and the area around the roads was impeccable.

I bet your wondering why I have sworn to not drive through your state again if I can ever help it.

Yes the roads were clean and tidy and smooth to drive down but the speeds were evidently determined by an epileptic child throwing darts at a marked dart board.

Why would the speed limit change from 70 to 45 along a highway? There was no construction, no towns, no school crossings...no cages of small disabled children strewn across the roadway.

I could understand that the speed limit needs to lower when entering a town or if construction is happening but there is no reason for the speed limit to go directly from 70 mph to 45 mph. There was no gradual drop from 70 to 60 to 45 . Straight from 70 to 45. WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT? WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT MULTIPLE TIMES ALONG DIFFERENT STRETCHES OF THE SAME HIGHWAY? OR ON MULTIPLE HIGHWAYS? OR AT ALL?

Maybe it had something to do with the copious amounts of highway patrol vehicles lining the highway? No, no...that is preposterous. No state would sink so low as to employ cheap trickery to get more tickets written along their highways, would they?

But I digress.

Really, if anyone has any explanation for why the speed limit would change so idiotically, leave me a reply. Seriously, I want to know. Restore my faith in the ADoT. Please. Really.

Hugs and kisses,
Joe

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

did you get a ticket joe?

Joe said...

no, actually. we saw through their clever scheme (and my dad was driving and he obeys speed limits like a religion)