Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Clinicals

I started my second clinical experience on Monday at St. John's hospital here in Springfield. I am working in the inpatient rehab department and I have really enjoyed most everything about being there. My only complaint is that there are way more bodily fluids to be dealt with this clinical than the last one I went on.

Since I can't share a lot of details about the patients I am seeing, patient confidentiality and all, I thought that I would instead share other random unrelated facts that I learn throughout my two weeks in the hospital. In the last two days I have accumulated the following tidbits of knowledge (along with the source from which I acquired them):

**Drinking alcohol shrinks your testicles and decreases testosterone production --from a doctor to a patient

**When they put staples into you, often, you are awake and not numbed in the slightest --nurse practitioner

**If you need staples while in the hospital, they will order you personally a stapler, which is then your stapler --nurse practitioner

**To desensitize a amputation stump you should "slap it around a bit" --a patient

6 comments:

Colleen said...

do you get to take your stapler home with you?

Anonymous said...

I think I am going to stay way from that hospital...... and staples

Casie said...

I am not sure if they let you take the stapler, but otherwise they are just throwing it aways so if I ever need staples, I am so asking for it!

Colleen said...

Since they don't anesthetize you before stapling anyways it seems like you could do some self improvements with your stapler. I'm thinking of but lifts, face lifts, chin tucks, eye lifts, etc...

Brian said...

I have a power stapler in my shop and a power nailer, maybe I could do some part time work...

Casie said...

I think that a nailer would do very little to decrease wound size.